Sometimes windshield cracks can’t be avoided. But while cracks can’t always be prevented, you can prevent small cracks from turning into bigger ones.
Here are a few things to keep in mind in case you get a windshield crack. Knowing what to do when you get a crack can help to prevent a small problem from becoming bigger.
- Put a piece of clear tape over the crack. This helps to keep it clean and makes repairs easier.
- Make an appointment to have the crack inspected or repaired. The sooner the better when it comes to windshield cracks, even if the crack is small. Small cracks repairs are much less noticeable than larger ones are.
- Avoid extreme temperatures. Extreme temperatures can make existing cracks bigger. Extreme heat can also cause windshields to be more susceptible to cracking. While extreme heat alone won’t make a windshield crack, intense heat can weaken the glass and cause it to crack when a bump is hit.
- Don’t ignore the problem. Ignoring the crack won’t make it go away. Ignoring the crack in your windshield allows it to become worse. A crack can become worse with every bit of dirt that is trapped inside of it.
- Don’t hip bumps. Try to avoid bumps until the crack is repaired. Bumps can cause the crack to grow.
- Don’t touch the crack. Touching the crack can contaminate it with skin oils, making it harder for the adhesive to stick when the repair is being done.
- Don’t follow other vehicles too closely –especially large trucks or anything on a gravel road. Following too closely behind other vehicles makes you more susceptible to flying debris and small rocks that can damage your windshield.
Windshield chips can be difficult to prevent, but you can stop chips and small cracks before they grow into bigger problems.
If your window is damaged, the best option is to have it inspected. Your windshield is an important part of your vehicle’s safety and support system.
Take steps to prevent cracks, and have existing chips and cracks repaired quickly. Keep your windshield safe, and it will keep you safe in case of an accident.